Position: Laboratory Technician
Contract Duration: 1 year (possibly renewable)
Position Type: Full-time
Reports to: Laboratory Coordinator
Position Description and Responsibilities
The laboratory Technician will be responsible for carrying out laboratory analysis for TB & HIV/AIDS related services. Documentation of study data and ensuring that all data collected is accurate and reported in a timely manner.
ROLES AND RESPONSBILITIES
Perform laboratory analysis
- Perform laboratory tests and research experiments according to standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Perform Lab analysis in a timely manner.
- Receive, process, store, and dispatch biospecimens and data for clinical and research purposes according to SOPs.
- Documentation of lab related data using specific data capturing instruments.
- Assist in the design of laboratory assays, experiments, techniques, and protocols.
- Maintain a safe environment in handling, disposing, and transporting biospecimens, laboratory chemicals and equipment.
- Perform laboratory maintenance such as maintaining and cleaning lab equipment.
Planning & Implementation
- Support the development of monthly, quarterly and annual laboratory support plans
- Develop and manage TB & HIV Viral load sample management
- Maintain an inventory of Laboratory supplies with Lab Coordinator
- Initiate procurement of laboratory supplies with Lab Coordinator
Training & Mentorship
- Provide mentorship and on-the-job training to fellow laboratory technicians on management of TB & HIV-related testing and commodities as indicated in coordination with Lab Coordinator
- Develop storage guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for management of TB, HIV-related related laboratory supplies in coordination with lab manager
- Attends and seeks out trainings and continuing professional development opportunities
- On request and as directed, represent Baylor Foundation – Malawi with partners and stakeholders to improve the essential TB &HIV-related
- Create and work on QI projects with staff
Competencies and experience Required
- Diploma in Laboratory Technology
- 2-3 years’ experience at Laboratory Technical (TO) level and current Medical council registration certificate
- Demonstrated skills in performing laboratory techniques including but not limited to molecular assays, hematology, chemistry, immunology and microbiology.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (using applicable computer software and applications)
- Fluent in English and Chichewa
- Previous experience with TB & HIV programs preferred
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Integrity and professionalism
- Able to contribute to a positive enriching work environment
- Team player
- Proper handling of potentially hazardous biomaterials, chemicals, or equipment
- Creative problem solving
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new laboratory technologies
- Organization of schedules and tasks
- Ability to work in intensely stressful environment and beat deadlines
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should forward their applications, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees to:
The Executive Director
Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation-Malawi
Closing date for receiving applications is 27th January, 2023. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged